PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forget about Tracey, Lachlan has departed on a genuine solo trip around the world.
Old 5th Jul 2016, 05:52
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, so there is nothing special about an 18 year old, flying solo around the world in a piston single aircraft? Yeah he may have a fully coupled and redundant GPS systems hooked to an autopilot capable of doing most of the flying, so navigation is not an issue. He still has to manage fuel, weather, airspace, aircraft systems and that single engine over a shed load of water. Not to mention staying awake and flying and managing these systems for 15+ hours. Yep, we could all probably do it (sic), but I don't see very many doing it at all. And for an 18 year old, who admits he certainly hasn't filled his experience bag very much at all, this would certainly be one of life's most significant challenges. Put your sorry and grumpy arse in his shoes for a minute... still think this is not significant. If you don't, better off sticking to the seat next to the dunny on Jetstar flights.

Further who gives a rats where he got his funding from, why would this be an elephant in the room? He may have sold papers, he may be on the golden train from successful parents, he may have won the $40M Powerball, how the hell this affects what he is doing I have no idea? But, I see he has been out and about and even as close as two weeks ago was still pitching and chasing dollars to try and find a major or multiple major funders.

Me thinks people have been in aviation too long if you don't think there is anything in this flight. Perhaps go and play chess in your local park, with the the old blokes complaining about "how they did it tougher".

Fair dinkum... Some of you blokes could sh!t diamonds and you would still whinge.

Good luck Lachie, I am sure you will be successful and become the youngest person to fly solo around the world, this will be an awesome achievement.

Cheers
CB