PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 18:12
Broken Biscuits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is that the VOR will be rechecked with the relocated security fencing. Perhaps then there will be a VOR/DME approach for Runway 20, and possibly Runway 02 also.

Maybe they will do some checking of the GBAS VHF Data Broadcast (VDB). I understand that the main thing necessary is to check that the VDB signal can be received error free over the required operating volume (i.e. from 23nm out to the runway threshold). The big benefit of GBAS will be providing good vertical guidance, otherwise absent with the other landing aids. (However, not many smaller aircraft are equipped with the necessary receivers as yet.)

Finally, I'd have thought that they would do a series of approaches, especially to Runway 20, over a period of a number of days, checking where exactly the windshear occurs. And also checking out the idea that a steeper approach with a significantly further displaced threshold can reduce the windshear problem.

I wonder if I'll be right?

I still think it would make sense to put more concrete down on the RESA at the O2 threshold end - far better to have something safe to run onto instead of dirt.