PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 17:19
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That great man of the game FS Trueman of Yorkshire said of a visit to play in India that not even bowels of concrete could slow the passage of the food on offer. . One of his memorable stories (and he had a million of them)
concerned the English bowler Alf Gover . In India in I think 1948 with the Honourable Lionel Tennyson his captain .
India won the toss and batted. Gover opened the bowling,. As FS told it Gover paced his run up and declared it good. Turning he started his long run in arms and legs going like pistons .. . he passed his crease increasing speed down the pitch past the startled batsman on strike. He brushed aside third man and dodged two more leaving the field to enter the pavilion still at a cracking pace . . . After a minute or two the captain decided to see what had happened to Gover. He goes into the dressing room . . Gover. .. . where are you Gover? I'm in the ****house sir. What are you doing in there Gover? I've shat my pants sir. . . . Oh thats a pity Gover. Could we have the ball back now .. we want to get on with the game.

Last edited by Fantome; 5th Jul 2016 at 11:28.