PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 4th Jul 2016, 17:07
ecureilx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickjoebill
What color are the strobes you see in Changi?

All vehicles airside are required to display flashing amber lights.

Fire tenders when responding to a call, turn on blue strobes.

Mickjoebill
When they were doing dry runs, rolling out of the ARFF point, they were on blue lights.

Saw this on a SQ CC Blog These are Not my words !!!!!

Now, the next 3 to 4 minutes was the craziest and probably what I'm still reeling from.

By this time - where i was, I could get a full view of what was happening. Passengers seated closest to the fire at D3R window seat were jumping out of their seats and scrambling for their bags and just running towards the door. People were shouting "FIRE!" "THERE IS A FIRE!" "DO SOMETHING!" "OPEN YOUR DOOR NOW!" "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Passengers at D3L were all running forward as well to my door - jumping over people. By this time i couldn't call anyone although i wanted to inform either SXXX or TYYY that there was a fire. But with all the pax wanting to open my door i had to guard the door instead.

My passenger on XXG was a mother with a 7 months baby. Throughout the flight she was telling me how anxious she was cause she was travelling alone. Her husband was waiting for her in Milan. You know when this was happening - she ran towards me and held my hands.. her eyes full of fear and she was holding her baby.. already in tears asking me what to do.

Parents were holding their kids and looking at me hoping that I can save them. But I myself can't guarantee my own life. And although my voice and face is normal and I'm telling them to calm down .. only God knew how much i was shaking inside and desperate to do the right thing while knowing at the back of my mind this airplane might explode anytime."

Our SEP training definitely has really played a part in the way ssss and cccc had reacted, confirm condition outside, alert pilots and crowd control.

I couldn't imagine what they are going through now, because I am not exposed to what they are exposed to. And I'm telling you, I felt the impact on me later in the evening after the adrenaline wears off.

The question of whether or not to evacuate keep popping up in my head! Did we or did not make the right decision...

With the help of sleeping aid, I forced myself to sleep. However woke up with my body and hands trembling.

Later in the day, we went to CAAS at T2 to present our statements on the incident. Reliving the incident is not a nice feeling at all.

Took ourselves off our flights and waiting for our counselling session. Some of the crew had requested for a one to one counselling session today and their request were attended immediately.

I'm looking forward to our group counselling session. Hopefully it will stop the tremors felt in my body.

Certainly hope that we can come back to work with confidence and not fear.

Last edited by ecureilx; 5th Jul 2016 at 19:55.