PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ornge helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 17:07
green_eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 139 should be a great leap forward for the Moosonee base and should provide cost savings for Ornge
Couple things are very funny about this statement:

1) A 139 is being leased to literally "leap" across a river (2.45nm according to google earth).

2) The concept of a 139 providing cost savings for anything.

STARS have been operating on NVG's quite happily and safely for years and reap the benefits. Ornge should too!
I agree. However, NVGs don't provide benefits (safety) unless they are used properly and the pilots are properly trained. And if Ornge is as incompetent at training as the report suggests, then I feel afraid for what's to come.

Being safe and effective doesn't come from equipment alone. The equipment needs to be paired with a company that has the right culture with the right staff. Nuances in the report seem to suggest that Ornge has many pilots that are competent and saw this whole accident coming. I don't think they are the ones to worry about. I'm more concerned about them putting another new hire in a 139 who gets sucked into bad weather and goes IIMC while low level at night because he wasn't trained on the finer points of flying NVGs.