PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 14:06
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny and MPN

Quite so, MPN... I take your point. Independence 'Freedom' Fighters don't necessarily make responsible and honourable politicians... and insufficient checks and balances gives free-reign to corruption. By comparison, I rather wonder if British colonial administrators actually needed to resort to corruption. They had a comfortable life, with servants, and were assured of a pleasant retirement back in Cheltenham, or wherever. That's not to suggest they didn't work hard, or that the hot season wasn't hard to bear. Nor that they weren't imbued with a sense of honour and self-discipline.

I'm reminded of my grandfather, who went out to India in the 1920s as a WOII in the Artillery. The (British) Indian Army needed more staff for its Ordnance Corps and invited applicants to transfer. By the look of it, it was a 'no brainer'. Having transferred he acquired a typical colonial bungalow, with the servants as follows: an Ayah (nursemaid), a Bearer (waiter), a Mahli (gardener), a Sweeper (cleaner) and a Kansamah (cook). Had the family been living back in the UK, having even a single servant would have been well beyond their means. There were other attractive bonuses too, such a year's leave back in the UK every six years, and good boarding schools for the children. With promotion to WOI, he was even able to afford a car. Materially, it was a jump into the realms of the affluent middle class.

I can't resist adding a shot of him! Having walked around many of the British Indian hill stations (before they were spoilt by modern development) I have such regret not to have been there in the old days. My generation has had the opportunity of higher education, the older generations had the opportunities of Empire!

Thanks for the comments/correction, Danny. (Fount of all knowledge!)