PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 12:05
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the topic of preplanning the route, including assuring a welcome and required services at each destination, it is apparent to me that TCT (and her team) did this right, and JJ did not. For that, I recognize the collective TCT effort as something which deserves a "well done", by comparison to the JJ effort. I do not accept that a pilot should arrive unexpectedly/without permission at a remote destination, and expect any services. The cost to accommodate a person by the day in Antarctica is high - did JJ offer to pay those costs?

Our society has, to some degree, accepted that we must bear the cost of rescuing adventurers, but I feel that the adventurers must bear some cost of the rescue, or at least mitigating it. If insurance is required, buy the insurance. As recently as yesterday, a marine distress call was made to the Canadian Armed Forces Rescue Coordination Center for a boat aground and in distress in our waters (the fire department I serve). I expect that a Hercules and Cormorant helicopter were being readied for departure, while the provincial police boat was being dispatched (a half hour one way trip to the area). We were dispatched, so I flew my plane, two fire trucks dispatched with ten firefighters, with four to our boat, and it left for the distress area (5 minute water trip). During which time, I found the boat gently aground on the beach. The errant mariners were walking the boat back to deeper water, as I directed our boat to them.

When our boat arrived, the vessel in distress denied making a distress call at all. So, we redirected our search efforts outwards into the lake. After 30 minutes, the CAF RCC contacted back saying that the vessel was no longer in distress, we were called off. That cost real money. The errant mariners could have mitigated that whole event with the correct use of a chart, and at least admitting that it was them when our boat arrived!

I have the same lack of patience for adventurers who carelessly, or worse deliberately, cause use of public resources and cost, as I do for people who lie about their achievements. At least TCT put her plane safely in a box for the dangerous parts of circumnavigation!