PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 11:32
PapaHotel6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that is your opinion and how you want to remember the Honourable Justice Peter Mahon, you are entitled to your opinion prospector. We live in a democracy and have that right to freedom of speech.

I myself, prefer to remember him as a man of integrity
I too believe that he was a man of integrity, but he was somewhat lacking in humility. I also believed that he exposed some truth that was relevant to understanding what happened, but ultimately his conclusions were wrong.

I have my own Mahon anecdote below (utterly irrelevant to the prevailing discussion, hence the italics. But I want to share it anyway).

It was the end of 1982. Mahon was the invited guest speaker at my school's prizegiving. This was only just after his report had been released, and for my humble high school to have secured the Hon. Peter Mahon was no mean feat indeed. Anticipation surrounding the event was huge, and the hall was packed.

When he took the podium to speak, he immediately declared that he wasn't going to speak about Erebus. The disappointment in the audience was utterly palpable. He then went on to say how it was never a good idea to invite members of the legal fraternity to speak at such occasions, because they would invariably be over-wrought, drawn out and dry.

Well, he was true to to his word there. For what seemed like an eternity (it was probably about 40 minutes) he droned on about some obscure legal topic. At the end of it the hall was full of faces that all looked like they'd surely have committed suicide there and then, had they possessed the means.

But for me the evening was redeemed totally when I received my prize (for 6th form Physics) - a compendium of Graham Greene novels. Mahon warmly shook my hand and said "Congratulations. He's one of my favourite authors." I felt immensely proud.

Last edited by PapaHotel6; 4th Jul 2016 at 12:27.