PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather CAMS - CASA has no interest?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2016, 00:39
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Squawk7700, as I posted before, it's not terribly expensive, you can buy ready to go units that are weather proof, have tilt/rotate control so they can be aimed in multiple directions, solar powered, 3G and wifi built in for about $1700, if you consider that each site should really have a back up that would be equipment at $3400 each. Worked it out at about 7gb of Data a month required, so say a $50 Plan, another $600 a year and allow for at least 5 years of operation, so another $3000, add no more than $600 for sundry installation costs (It's a Pole in some cement, not exactly rocket science) which seems fair considering some sites will be very straight forward and others will require a little more work and you're looking at about $7000 for each site.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get someone to pony up a million dollars for a project like this (Hell, in my local area they just built a 75m bike over pass for $10 million just so they could avoid waiting at a set of traffic lights!!), this would allow for about 100-140 sites to be fully funded depending on some admin costs. Doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me.

I was recently out in WA, weather forecast when I got up was showing CAVOK for the day, "Great!" I thought, let's go get some work done.... ooops, someone didn't forecast the heavy fog that had settled in and lasted for about 2-3hrs, a weather cam could have saved a few people a lot of hassle that day.

Heck, CASA have spent how much money on a fancy website in the last few years? Least they could do is actually make it useful and have someone post up some links to Webcams that could help us all.