PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 18:00
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Deefer and Stepturn I agree with what you say.

The Daily Mail expose a few days ago does nothing for advancing women in aviation apart from highlighting the fact that the right connections and money are the primary prerequisites.

I am pleased to see the LAA forum has a new thread following the Daily Mail story.

Tracey Curtis-Taylor
Postby mikehallam » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:41 am

There's a running debate on Pprune on this honoured lady pilot which seems to show beyond reasonable doubt that her achievement flying solo to Australia was not true as she in her publicity claimed, nor without modern instruments. Nearly all was flown with an accomplished male pilot in the front seat. The Daily Mail may be a bit of a rag but had a full page expose on her 'cheating' claims at the week-end.

I know she must have convinced the LAA of her prowess, got a write up and also several awards elsewhere. I am therefore surprised that no-one in the LAA openly admits to having read Pprune, or having done so hasn't mentioned it here.

It worries me it's not been raised on our forum: am I really the only LAA member to wonder what the LAA membership and management opinions are now ?

Leaving it hidden is IMHO, a slur on honest LAA pilots and on the genuine achievements of the trail blazers.

mike hallam.
http://services.lightaircraftassocia...&t=4873#p22993

In reply to Ian Melvilles comment no blame can be laid at Sam Rutherford for the Daily Mail story.

I am the person responsible.

At the very least a comment from the LAA chief exec Steve Slater on the organisations stance given the evidence?

When it comes to constructive comment on issues such as this, the advertising money and aviation social circles still comes first in the UK. Hence TCT's total blanking of negative publicity and threads like this.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 3rd Jul 2016 at 18:33.