PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you do your PPL in South Africa?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2003, 15:46
sanjo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another two penny worth

I agree fully with George Tower comments.

I recently attempted to do the same in April this year and was bitterly dissapointed and wasted about £5000.00. Be very careful in accepting packages from UK based agents like Naunton Pugh in Cambridge for flying schools in SA, see my thread of Cape Flying Services and still more very interesting comments to be posted soon!

Uk Caa only recognized JAA flying school in South Africa is Flight Training College based in Johannesburg it is apparently very proffessional and as I understand it the SA PPL does have some problems on the UK return of the student, particularly, if you do not complete the ppl in SA and return with a student ppl, the medical needs to be re taken in the UK as most medicals carried out in SA are not JAA approved allbeit Class 2.

My strony advice would be to go to a SA flying school for hour building to solo status and gain the experience return to the UK join a flying school rewrite all the 6 exams (£20 each) complete the JAA medical at about £120 and finish the leasons and course with about 12- 15 hours at £100 each.

This may sound strange, but think about it as it does make some sense. You will have a full JAA licence and have completed it a lot sooner than if you had done fully within UK as your flying hours is transferrable upon your return. Don't under any circumstances pay up front, only, pay as you fly, you will enjoy the good exchange rate at about between R500 - R 700 per hour dual and solo, that around £45- £50 per hour. Don't expect extensive ground school training , expect to teach yourself as this ground school in all probability will be non existent

South Africa is a great country for all sorts of activities including aviation but I suspect there are companies not fully up to date with good customer relations policies ! Discuss, negotiate and confirm every detail with them prior to starting your training.

If you need further advice please email me, remember Ive been there and fell into the pitfalls !

Good Luck

Sandy