PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Mk 26 - real or not real?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 20:14
SpitfirePerth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Star
90% Scale is the linear dimension which means the effect on volume and therefore weight will be 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 = 0.729 i.e. 72.9%

Similarly 80% gives 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.512 i.e. 51.2%
That's very good. My mk26 weighs 800kg approx. WWII mk1 was about 2000 - 3000 kg, mk24 was 7000kg!

Originally Posted by Say again s l o w l y
A thread's title bears no resemblence to what is actually contained within the thread. As anyone who's ever used a web forum will be able to explain.

Everyone knows that the Mk 26 isn't a "real" spitfire. No-one is pretending that it is.
Real or not, great question. If you think not, come with me through the hangar, close your eyes as we walk towards the mk26 spitfire. If you walk into something & it hurts, we'll call it Scotch Mist.....

The mk25, mk26 and mk26b are aircraft in the image of original spitfires. They are not true replicas. I am guided by definitions of real & replica, as well as the curator of the Scottish Museum of Flight. They are never to be portrayed as "a genuine warbirds" at air shows or otherwise, but they have and will enthuse young & old alike, helping keep the memory alive.

As it says above, what colour is yours?!

Iain