PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire fighting plane disappeared in Siberia
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 09:01
FullOppositeRudder

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was supposed to be super-dangerous to be bombed with water... at least that's what media told us when we brought in planes from abroad for a forest fire.
It is!

Our firefighting ops involve working with the AT802s who normally drop three tonnes of water at about 100+(?) knots or thereabouts ..... We know that this is enough to knock anyone in the path to the ground with potential for additional injury, break branches off trees, dent vehicles and cause significant damage to any buildings which score a direct hit. The drops are co-ordinated to make sure that personnel and appliances are well clear of the drop zone.

In the video, it's possible that up to forty plus tonnes is coming at you at a speed much faster than propeller driven A/C (perhaps even 250kt?). The energy being unleashed here is frightening. No way in the world would I be holding the camera or giving the commentary for this sequence. Nor would I be allowed to.

We can safely assume that the demonstration fire in this sequence was extinguished. I will forever wonder about the people who placed themselves right in the drop zone ....

FOR

Last edited by FullOppositeRudder; 2nd Jul 2016 at 10:58.