PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozrunways and Ipads
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 06:07
ZAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Information and Ozrunways

Originally Posted by Sunfish
Bevan, weight and balance - page 6 of CAAP 233 - the software/data/algorithm must be validated.

Being a wrong headed, stupid indvidual who is all thumbs, I will do my workings on Ozrunways but I always cross check with paper and pencil and that provides a written record to satisfy any FOI who asks.
One of the interesting limits of Ozrunways has emerged now some 3 years on and it's this.
On line you see all the Ozrunways users sharing their aircraft and in some cases their flight plans.
All well and good but when you compare this with Flight radar and Flight aware tracks something is missing!
All or most of the traffic on Ozrunways.
Now this may not be such a big deal for one u can't use the traffic information to avoid collisions legally lol, and for two the guys using Ozrunways showed me all this traffic recently and it seemed to be a great heads up. Trouble is when as I did you set up ADSB IN in the aircraft to display traffic, you get the IFR and VFR with ADSB out.
But there is no Ozrunways to be seen because ADSB in is in house, like the Stratux system where you use a 1090 antenna and a gps sub dongle on a raspberry Pi box , you log in with your IPad in OZrunways and see all the ADSB squatters flying by. On some occasions you do see the VFR aircraft who have upgraded to ADSB. EArly days as I said but flawed. Trouble is when you use one IPAD online when flying and one on ADSB IM the traffic information is worlds apart, and it's the guys VFR you don't see that will be the traffic issue not the IFR known traffic.