PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2016, 01:03
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GlueBall

Dangerous crew incompetence: Shutting down wrong engine.
I guess you have never sat in the back of a sim, or even sweated a drop while being checked while driving one in the knowledge that everything you had mentally rehearsed was going to happen?

I'll bet also that you didn't even read the entire report (which incidentally I thought was of a very high standard), did you?

Clearly you didn't get as far as page 112 because you had already determined, in your ever so simplistic thought process, that the pilots were incompetent. It seems though that there are many more of them (us) out there that do not own your piloting skill set.....

About half of the accidents involving turboprop aircraft in
the transport category occurred during the take off phase of flight. About 63% of
the accidents involved a loss of control, with most of those occurring following the
propulsion system malfunction during take off. Seventy percent of the ‘powerplant
malfunction during take off’ events led to a loss of control, either immediately or
on the subsequent approach to land.
Propulsion system failures resulting in an uncommanded total power loss were
the most common technical events. ‘Shut down by crew’ events included those
where either a malfunction of the engine occurred and the crew shut down the
engine, or where one engine malfunctioned and the other (wrong) engine was shut
down. Fifty percent of the ‘shut down by crew’ events involved the crew shutting
down the wrong engine."
I'm no statistician, but excluding you perhaps 50% of us pprune readers might also have done it.