PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8.33 and what happens with existing radios
Old 1st Jul 2016, 20:09
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 8.33 and what happens with existing radios

Went to AeroExpo today and was thinking of buying a handheld to be ahead of the 8.33 game (I did something similar when 720 became 760 channels) BUT saw the CAA update sheet, and now understand that from December 2017, it will actually be illegal to use our old 760s as these will interfere with 8.33 frequencies.

I know this has been coming for years, but maybe others like me don't realise that our current panels will effectively be scrap. No doubt it may get pushed back, and there could be exceptions, but CAA seems to think this will just be emergency frequencies, and the like of ballooning - otherwise there is no point in keeping any 25 KHz equipment in the aircraft.

So anyone who has more than one radio to replace is into serious money, and for absolutely no purpose, as we (GA) have quite enough frequencies available if we manage them properly. Apparently there is some 4.5 million euro grant available to help the transition, but no-one knows who will get it or how.

Even the side of the radio containing nav are at threat too, because ILS will be changed to 8.33 (like all ground frequencies), so it's all new everything.

No doubt that LAA, AOPA etc will be campaigning like crazy, but please add your "voices" to the debate. Talk to your representatives (whoever they are) and see if we can change anything.