PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus choose data streaming to replace black boxes
Old 1st Jul 2016, 11:43
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSEU
So if Satcom fails (or perhaps during periods of strong sunspot activity), there are no recording facilities? All aircraft grounded?

Usually the CVR and DFDR are on different busses, so there is some redundancy in this respect.
I think it is more the problem of maintaining contact with a geostationary satellite. Once the aircraft suffers a LOC and starts rapid changes of vector - as in the recent LOC events, the SATCOM link may be broken as the antenna ceases to track the satellite, and the data may cease to be transmitted. So rather as in the EgyptAir 804 crash, there would be information up to the event but possibly nothing afterward which often gives the information on the reason for the LOC/crash.

Instead of patching different areas - this one looks at access to information - others finding the DFDR/CVR in deep water - making recorders more survivable etc etc. I would suggest that a formal systems analysis is carried out from scratch: what is required, how can that be captured/stored in a secure only accessible after an incident way, how and who would access that data etc. The capabilities of modern technology are significantly ahead of the regulations and standards currently in place. Do a formal design of what could be done instead. Connection oriented comms to a secure data storage in 'escrow' by a trusted 3rd party are completely feasible - possibly backed up by multiple self-powered small survivable onboard recording devices.