PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 Hard Landing Germany
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2016, 10:57
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVDT:
"And while we are at it a "light" helicopter can be your worst nightmare.
Come back when you have had a think about it. "

IMO being light is a huge advantage to acheiving an easy landing. So having thought about it for over 40yrs now could you please let me know why it can be my worst nightmare?

(are you worried that sufficient autorevs might not be acheived? i don't think that is significant as can be seen from the autorotating independant rotor system in Norway, a light helicopter doesn't need the same RPM that a heavy one needs, and you can wind up the revs as required in a flare anyway (sometimes special techniques required)
OR
Are you refering to the marginal conditions where you can get further (and stay up longer) with more weight due to more Potential Energy and a potentially increased efficiency
OR
is it something I'm missing? if so please help)

212 i think 'engine on' EOL is very slightly easier for cushioning ("at the bottom") if N2 is not far under Nr. as Nr droop catches N2 then the inertial contribution plus some marginal gas flow contribution makes a little (noticeable) help.

Engines can stop, its not really a large risk, relative to the other risks that in practice cause so much more death.