PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus choose data streaming to replace black boxes
Old 30th Jun 2016, 23:07
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captplaystation
I am (as anyone who knows me, and my "phones" ) a bit Jurassic, so am totally unwilling to trust, for example, my photo library to anyones "cloud" (clouds can evaporate right ? ) I possess an impressively expensive collection of Memory Cards.

Surely this idea is best seen as an addition to proven technology (the proven technology being, I would imagine, fairly cheap/trouble free ) No doubt the new system would help to bring some alleviation from MEL/ CDL requirements, but , nonetheless, would be best (in my opinion ) viewed (in the short term at least ) as an enhancement rather than replacement.
You sure have a lot of faith in flash memory. It's certainly to be preferred, in general, to single disc-based (or, heaven help us, tape-) data storage but inferior to distributed storage methods (such as local RAID arrays) which nowadays can be configured from solid-state drives. As for cloud storage this can be distributed over a vast spectrum of locations and made massively fault-tolerant. I'd have thought the key vulnerability would have been in transmission, not data storage.