PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2016, 13:01
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the visual approach you say "Clear Left/Right Side" before every turn.
Yes, or something similar. The Japanese will say "left/right side clear" but it's just important (to them) that you look and say something. The fact that they often just say it without looking is not supposed to be noticed, so please do as they say and not as they do

What do you say when in IMC during the VOR and ILS approach?
Please don't laugh too much because it's true, but they'll (we'll) say "left/right side in cloud". Stupid beyond comprehension but just smile and do, smile and do.

One of the technical questions in the interview is describe the touchdown zone with JCAB rated pilots to give the JCAB definition.
Does any one have the JCAB definition for Touch Down Zone?
For some reason they get a big hard-on about knowing the distances to the different white lines on the runway, so it's a good idea if you can learn them. They'll be mostly interested in where the touchdown zone marks start, how they're spaced and (obviously) where they finish. They'll probably be even more interested in where the aiming point marks start and how long they are. This way they can question you about seeing the very end of the aiming point marks while you're in the flare, or not and how this will place you for touching down in the correct place or landing long etc. They've got an ideal for the 767 of 1250' ft touchdown but I can't reproduce the drawing of the eye height, distance between pilots and gear etc, so you'll just have to believe me (or not if you've got any brains). It's not specifically a JCAB thing because the runway markings are standard but it's an Asian thing for learning numbers that you'll never use again and firmly grasping the irrelevant. We all know the importance of landing in the right place but they want you to be able to back that up with your mastery of learning numbers by rote and being able to show how landing long or short is a bad thing. Seeing the end of the aiming marks disappearing under the nose as you touch down is a good thing and will mean you've achieved Nirvana at 1250'. The fact that you dragged the approach in from 50 miles, used five times the fuel by avoiding any cloud in the sky and are late because you insisted on slowing down for every slight bump in the air is totally ignored. Autobrake 4 will also help for the limiting runways like Narita.

I read on one of the posts that when you eventually get upgraded you sign a new five year contract starting on Captain pay scales. I can not seem to find information on when you finish that five year contact and you sign another five year contact does your pay stay at the five year Captain scale or does the new five year contact keep on going up every year like the first five year contract.
When you start a new contract you'll continue going up the pay increments (that will buy you an extra Asahi per year). So you'll go onto waypoint 6 having completed the first 5 year contract. I'd love to tell you more about pay increases etc but all the agencies are dickless wonders and won't ask AJX for more money lest they upset their lords and masters. Meanwhile, if the pay doesn't look good to you, don't join, because it won't be going up with the current personnel involved in the contract agencies.