PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Airlines "evacuation"
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2016, 06:26
Sicofit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicofit

Having flown for a number of airlines,there are two issues here as I see it which seem to conflict with their SOP's.Firstly,the report said he was two hours out after departure and secondly,while there was an obvious raging fire, the pilot elected not to evacuate.
Company Ops manuals that I am familiar with,all state; in the event of fire or possible fire,land at nearest suitable airport.
Also, with an on ground fire, evacuate the aircraft.I have never seen where it says you should establish communication with the fire chief. You would have already advised the tower of that problem before bringing the aircraft to a stop,giving them the relevant information and your intentions.
They were lucky the fire or smoke hadn't entered the cabin or it would have been a possible different outcome.
By the way, I flew for that airline many years back and would be interested to see if they have developed any new procedures with respect to these emergencies.
This is about rumour and news which is good and even though some posts may be incorrect,you can learn a lot.
As for the moderator, he is entitled to comment as well,but he is no more the authority than others who submit a post.