PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish AVIATION VALLEY & PZL
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2016, 22:55
ARRAKIS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think we have ever met, so ad personam comments would be, hm, unsubstantiated.

Now, ad rem.
Aviation Valley is a cluster of over 100 entities, mostly companies, including PGZ through its subsidiary. PZLs or WSK PZLs were companies in different parts of the country. One should not mix those two things as you did.
5 companies bearing "PZL" name are today part of the cluster. 2 of them are on your list. 2 from the list were never part of the cluster. Rzeszów is no longer a "PZL" but a P&W.

About 15 other smaller PZL-works, mainly former pure military-oriented maintenance and repair shops or plants became companies of the state owned PGZ-Holding (formerly BUMAR) and are for investors due to their sizes and partly poor infrastructure relatively uninteresting.
This is not correct. There were attempts to build PGZ around PHO/Bumar Group but they failed. There was exactly 1 (one) PZL incorporated into PGZ and 4 WZLs (Military Aircraft Works) responsible for aircraft maintenance/overhauls/upgrades - or 3, if we take into account a merger before incorporation. With around 700 employees in two cases, they are neither the smallest nor the biggest companies around.
Because of some lessons learned the hard way - some of OEMs are very good teachers - I don't think there is anymore question of selling them.
Regarding investments, given the tenders underway or coming soon and taking into account offset requirements, there will be a lot.
If one belives the answer given a few weeks ago by Polish MoD to MPs questions, a contract for 50 H225M was signed a few months ago, but it will come into force only after finishing offset negotiations. Caracal was competing against S-70i and AW149.
Anyway, I still have some regrets that AW didn't make an offer based on NH90. Things would be more interesting.

Arrakis