PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 29th Jun 2016, 10:09
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little snippet from Singapore (?) TV with some experts speculating about what may have happened to the engine and where the fire came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9zAUpEyVxs

I still don't understand completely why they did not evac. Learning about all those past fires with untimely evacuations where people died for no good reason makes me question this, very sorry about that.

One thing I find peculiar is that the BA Heathrow crash, the Asiana cartwheel and the BA Vegas engine fire shows that the 777 is built like a tank with capabilities we, the flying public, didn't really know an airplane could have. Is this confidence in the airplane maybe maybe turning a little tiny bit towards arrogance up in the cockpit for some carriers? As in "well, they made it just fine in Vegas, the airplane will save us, no need to worry"?

Oldlurker
There have been several passenger initiated evacuations. The one I have ingrained in my brain is the horrible horrible crash of an ASA plane in the US - I don't remember the flight number or the year it happened. It was a small commuter plane that crashed in a meadow outside nowhere. The FO survived the crash but almost died in the fire. I remember his words about trying to break the cockpit window with a fireaxe that was soooo bad it broke! He was saved by a passenger and a police officer who came to the scene later, they managed to break the glass.

Many survived the initial crash that time, but there was a big fire and people died before they could get out. Cabin crew were in disarray and everyone was left to fend for themselves.

Another example of passenger initiated evacuation was the Air Inter crash in France.

But, did you only mean evacuations due to engine fire while still on the runway? In that case I can't think of any right now.