PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 - Some Interesting Numbers
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2016, 09:01
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Part 61 - Some Interesting Numbers

As a retiree with clearly not enough domestic chores, I have been delving into what's in Part 61. Please correct mu 'numbers' if you like:

Size

NZ Part 61 - 110 pages plus some AC's that act as standards

US FAA Part 61 - 187 pages and I couldn't find any 'standards' published (maybe they rightly expect instructors to know how to train to the FAA's published standards?)

CASR Part 61 - 661 pages at last count, ( and that doesn't include the ridiculous number of instruments developed to plug the gaps). Then add in 664 pages in the Manual of Standards - (although I think that it's probably more than this?)

Language

The NZ Part 61 is written in clear, understandable English. The US Part 61 is a little more legalistic - but still understandable.

The CASA Part 61 has been written in full blown 'legalese' - perhaps intending to block any loopholes that criminal pilots and their defence might exploit.

Weight of Paper

My Part 61 licence in it's CASA folder, measures 165mm x 115mm x 18mm, and weighs 186g

My RAAus Certificate is a standard credit card size, measures 85 mm x 54mm x 1mm and weighs 6g

My old US PPL card weighs just 2 g and is credit card size.

Penalties

CASR Part 61 contains 39 specified offences, each an offence of strict liability, and attracting a penalty of 50 points - probably at $50 per point. It is illuminating to learn that 4 of these offences relate to pilot logbooks.

US and NZ Part 61s - couldn't see any penalties?

After 53 years of flying GA/RAAus in Australia, I'm gaining the impression that our regulator is far and away more successful than those Kiwis and Yanks. http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/...n_rolleyes.gif