PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The salary and working conditions thread - 2015/16
Old 28th Jun 2016, 23:29
Flying Clog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current a/c type: Boeing 747-400/-8F

Years in service: 11

Type of airline (name if you’re brave!): Legacy, Asia

Base country: Fragrant Harbour

Hours per month (average): 70

Monthly salary (before tax): 22,000 euros per month

Monthly salary (after tax): 18,500 euros per month after tax.

Additional payments: housing included in above figure (about 7800 euros to pay rent or off your mortgage, your choice). And a 13th month for Christmas. Total annual package about 265,000 euros per year (subject to 17% tax)

Any benefits?: Everything you would expect from a legacy airline. All the old school stuff: 4 free (tax only) sectors in business class long haul per year confirmed for the whole family. First class ID90 staff travel with our own airline, economy with pretty much every other airline. Full education for kids including boarding school abroad. Plenty more perks..

Happy (yes/no): Yes. Although our hard earned terms and conditions are under serious threat by the race to the bottom. Entry standards used to be 5000 plus hours with previous command time, now it's 160 hours, a pulse, and an abundance of hair gel. You do the math - a hull loss is inevitable.

I fully expect that I am in contention for the highest paid First Officer gig in the industry at the moment, but for this ****ty/knackering/long term fatigue job, I wouldn't get out of bed for less.

I can honestly say, if I wasn't being paid a MINIMUM of 250,000 euros per year, I would not entertain this line of work. I would be far happier and live longer doing something else.

As it stands... I'm on a good wicket. And happy all things considered.

Last edited by Flying Clog; 29th Jun 2016 at 00:03.