PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jun 2016, 21:37
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gentlemen,

You both show examples of what I was attempting to highlight. It was by no means limited to aircrew, or senior officers. As a GE, I had become a member of a bit of a rogue group, if you will pardon the terminology. As a single trade liney, I would always have the support of a base, or deployment base, with support. And therefore no need to think beyond doing it by the book. As a GE I needed to think how I could keep Albert going, with the agreement of the crew who were operating, in a safe and acceptable fashion. I remember one trip which ended with a direct Bermuda - Lyneham home leg. Weather favourable, an empty aircraft, and about 12 hours flying. Our only problem was part of one of the engines was not cooperating so I dug in to my "spares bag". Lo and behold I found a spare part, but it was one mod state short of the latest item. Picture the scene, the potential for a couple of days off in Bermuda and we had the discussion, no one was in any doubt, the part was only required to start the engine on the ground, if it failed at that point, we could always go tits, at least we had made the attempt. The Nav, top bloke, reckoned with a little extra fuel, if we got 2 hours out of Bermuda, and an air start using the airflow wasn't forthcoming, a 3 engined transit home was well within our capabilities. We started up and went home. On arrival back at Lyneham, I was shattered, having done a deal with the loady to do six hours on the galley, as he abused my hammock. The line debrief with the Captain and Eng was concluded when I had a quiet word with the Propulsion trade manager on shift. "Can you pull that relay on No3" says I, with a wink, and put the proper job in. He smiled, nodded and I left. Two days later I was invited for a chat with OC Eng Wing, the line Chief had reported my most unprofessional attitude to aircraft engineering and it had gone up the chain. All I could do was take the hit, and learn my lesson. I should have replaced the item myself as soon as we got back, not involving those who I though appreciated that my job was to get the aircraft home, safely, in consultation with the operating crew. I had a chat with the Propulsion TM in the Sgts mess at a dining out night a few months later, and asked why he involved the extended reporting chain, when he could have made his point directly to me. His reply was that, he was peeved that I might have denied him and one of his lads a recovery in Bermuda. I rest my case M'lauds.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 28th Jun 2016 at 21:39. Reason: I missed a comma