PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jun 2016, 19:21
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reds support

OK Gentlemen,

I have no wish to breach any rules on the thread and apologise if recent posts had raised any hackles. I relate a story from 14 September 1989. The Jersey air show and I was assigned as GE to a 70 Squadron crew flying the Reds support in to the Airport. The aircraft used was XV200 (ASCOT4966) curiously the aircraft that saw my career ended with a broken back. Anyway, we collected the Reds Groundcrew from Scampton (ISTR) then headed for Jersey. Most of the display aircraft, including the Reds had deployed a day earlier, so when the weather forecast for our arrival was "marginal" (wind wise) it was no surprise that the approach and landing was handled brilliantly by the superb capability of an experienced crew (apart from myself, GEs do nothing to assist that phase of the trip). Having landed and disgorged the load, we were informed that the winds were contrary for at least 3 hours, our departure would be delayed. We were invited, as a crew, to a reception in a hangar, and with orders from our Captain that soft drinks only were the order of the day, all trotted off to what we thought would be a pleasant experience. With Cokes in hand, we were approached by a chap in a red "grow bag" and leather jacket who looked down his nose at me (resplendent in green "grow bag", Ch Tech rank badges, and GE nameplate on left breast). He advised our Captain that the party was for people "actually contributing" to the Jersey air display, and I was obviously not one of those. My Captain said that we had brought in his ground support today, in weather we would have been entitled to abort in, I was part of his crew and that it was a shame that that was his attitude, he was the leader of the Reds at the time. We left, as a crew, and I always remember the attitude of that man on that day. We all enjoyed a few beers at the bowl on return, I'm sure anyone on that trip would remember that attitude. The Reds are a great display team, I do hope they treat their own Groundcrew better than those who fly in support of them. Am I a bitter old bugger ? I don't think so, I just think I was never derided by a C130 crew as that man did that day. Perhaps I am.

Smudge