PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2016, 12:46
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Nutloose

You are correct but, like me, living in the past! The old regs call up 20 specs (part 2 of the mandated Def Stan). The practice, on avionics, was for each DA to have a single contract, with a series of Annexes for each equipment. So, in the early 90s you knew there were 73 contracts to renew periodically. Contracts Branch barely got involved - it was all done by the Technical Agency (the named MoD employee with technical authority and delegation). Spec 19 told them how to cost the work and format the quote (and still does if MoD would use it). Spec 20 was used to control information. Contract award, start to finish, was days if you were busy. Aircraft, rightly, were a single contract per aircraft, with (at worst) Annexes for Marks. When stove-piping really kicked in with IPTs being (re)formed in 1999, each Annex became a separate contract, taking up and wasting huge resources, both in MoD and industry. I don't profess to know much about gliders, but by the comments here I'd be looking at a single contract on the DA, with directed sub contracts on suppliers. It isn't quite as simple as a single contract format, as a contractor might have their own terms and conditions - for example, if MoD is paying for a licensing agreement. But yes, you work it out once and at each renewal 95% of the work is already done. In this case, it's a matter of digging out an old contract, or asking the company to retrieve one from archives. Either way, any project manager would be mad not to have retained a copy of sample contracts for every company he's ever worked with.