PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Win7 or Win10? Which will run fastest on netbook PC?
Old 28th Jun 2016, 08:17
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Win7 or Win10? Which will run fastest on netbook PC?

my Win7 netbook has slowed to glacial speed over the last couple of years. I have not installed anything new onto it during this time but the inevitable "new versions" of installed stuff has taken it's toll.

To reclaim some speed should I re-install my Win7? from the backup partition or should I grab a free Win10? not that I know exactly what each entails and what the risks are.

If I re-install Win7, will it need me to know the licence number which was originally on a label on the bottom of the machine, long since worn away and not, apparently, in the paperwork from when the machine was bought new?

I suspect that either route will require me to remove and backup all of my data/photos/files et?

Do I need to remove all of the programmes I have installed? Most of them are free to download (Firefox, Comodo firewall and AV, Open Office, Free42), I assume a fresh install of all of these things would be good thing to do?

If I end up going the Win7 route, is there a way to be sure that it won't decide to overwrite it with Win10? I understand that setting "no updates" doesn't always stop them from cocking things up.

Please advise, thanks.

Andrew.