PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie GA destroyed – we’re the odd one out, safety most important consideration
Old 28th Jun 2016, 03:07
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Aussie GA destroyed – we’re the odd one out, safety most important consideration

My submission to the Forsyth Review covered the statement in the CASA Act regarding “Performance of Functions……CASA must regard………..safety as the most important consideration”

I said this was a ridiculous statement- if safety was the most important consideration, cost would actually come after that – thus destroying a viable industry.

David Forsyth did not address this important point in his review and later told me that “he was not looking at economic issues."

I recently had a survey conducted as to what NZ and the UK state in relation to safety. As you can see from below, we are the only country that has the mythical claim that safety is the most important consideration. In fact, the UK Civil Aviation Act actually mentions “public demand at the lowest charges….”

I’m absolutely sure until we can get our Act to change to reflect reality, there will be further destruction to our aviation industry. Let's copy the UK on this one I would reckon!

“PRIORITY OF SAFETY IN AVIATION LEGISLATION

Australia (CA Act)

Performance of Functions
“….CASA must regard….safety as the most important consideration”

New Zealand (CA Act)

Objectives
“The objective of CAA is to undertake its safety, security and other functions:… to achieve…” an integrated, safe, responsive and sustainable transport system”

Functions
(a) to promote civil aviation safety and security
(b) - (j) establish aviation security service, review accidents and various admin and non-safety procedural measures

UK (CA Act)

General Objectives
(a) “To secure that British airlines provide air transport services which satisfy …. Public demand at the lowest charges consistent with a high standard of safety in operating the services and an economic return to efficient operators…and with securing the sound development of the civil air transport industry in the UK.”
(b) To further the reasonable interests of users of air transport services”

Last edited by Dick Smith; 28th Jun 2016 at 04:36.