PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A return to the old Wannabee format?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2003, 21:17
Fujiflyer

Some more money for Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this BB is probably the best thing that as ever happened when it comes to sharing information and helping others in aviation. Yes, you do get repeat questions but this is not necessarily a complete waste of resources because:

(1) The mix of answers given each time may have a different "slant" to them which is useful if you are researching a topic and want as much input as possible. I think a good example of this is the currently running thread in Private Flying about differences between IR & IMC rating. The question sounded like it could easily have been answered by several methods yet has turned into a very detailed discussion involving many technicalities,

(2) Given that some areas are constantly changing, updates are useful. ie Licensing requirements, good places to visit,

I try to use the search function as much as possible before asking a question but don't always manage to get what I'm looking for. It is obvious (and a bit irritating) that some members don't bother. I must admit when I first joined PPRuNe I found the tendency was to ask a question before trying to get the answer some other way. I put that down to the environment (and me!) Perhaps when a new member registers, the appropriate use of search could be emphasised along with a tactful note pointing out how much work actually goes into many of the replies.

As an aside how about having an area of the PPRuNe site set up where members can get commonly requested information such as topics like "how to get an ATPL," the contact details of various aviation related organisations, etc, etc. I guess peoples' time is an issue - maybe some of the rest of us could help out a bit.

Fujiflyer