PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ-368 (engine & wing on fire) final report out
Old 27th Jun 2016, 13:03
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blimey
Hell's teeth

If I'd have been a passenger I'd have ordered my own evacuation and no amount of 'sit down sir' would have stopped me.

Google: British Airtours Flight 28M if you want to know what could have been the outcome - I thought we'd learnt that lesson.
And possibly earned yourself a mention in the Accident Report as the person that breached the hull and allowed smoke and flame into the cabin from the fire you couldn't see under the aircraft, that led to an Air Tours level loss of life.

Sullenberger's ditching into the Hudson was good but the evacuation using overwing and forward exits only was almost a failure as "One rear door was opened by a panicking passenger, causing the A320 to fill more quickly with water. The flight attendant in the rear who attempted to reseal the rear door was unable to do so." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Air...549#Evacuation

As pax you do not have the information that the crew have - your panic could kill you and others. And yes I know that in most incidents 90 seconds to depart the aircraft is the magic figure for survival. But that is most incidents not all.

Last edited by Ian W; 27th Jun 2016 at 13:11. Reason: grammar