PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2016, 09:51
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Morning, Danny42C ... glad you saw the programme, even if it was 'Pongo-orientated'

And thanks for the link at #8805 ... I have just finished reading that. Very informative. My only encounter with that subterranean world, and the T80 radar, was at RAF Sopley on the Area Radar course in 1970 ... a very Cold War underground environment, and a marked transition for those used to sitting in Local gazing out at an airfield. The sensation of passing the Police post in the 'bungalow' entrance, and then descending those long sloping corridors, with huge blast doors and 90º bends, was really quite spooky and a clear reminder of the nuclear risks we faced in those days.

Much of RAF Sopley still seems to be standing, in all its Seco-hutted glory, according to Google Earth. However, the only remaining evidence of the Ops site [3/4 miles to the West] is the 'bungalow' entrance to the underground installation and a stub or two of roadway where the car park used to be.

As an aside, I was led to believe that the turning gear bearings on the T80 were actually based on wartime cruiser gun turrets ... which of course were never intended to rotate continuously at 4 rpm. Apparently they leaked lubricating oil permanently!