PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2016, 19:13
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to clarify my thoughts on the documentation angle here, but first a sincere 'well done' to Coffman Starter for keeping the pressure on.

The basic fact here is that the RAF has shown itself unable to properly manage the airworthiness of a fleet of basic and uncomplicated commercially sourced aircraft. In issues like this, there are often two scenarios to consider - I often called them 'Marx Brothers' or 'Machiavelli'.

In the 'Machiavelli' scenario, records have been deliberately destroyed to protect those who failed to manage the aircraft properly. In the 'Marx Brothers' scenario, the records have ben inadvertently destroyed because those charged with managing them had no idea how to do the job, and have simply cocked it up. I admit that I tend towards the latter explanation. Mainly because I've seen the loss of basic expertise at first hand, and also how basic requirements for maintenance of an auditable airworthiness trial have been ignored in PTs within DE&S as well as at RAF departments and units.

I'd like to make it clear that I don't blame the more junior personnel involved in these 'Marx Brothers' antics. They simply haven't been giving the training or guidance required to undertake what should be (and was) a fairly simple technical administration task.

But the elephant in the room here is this. If it's a 'Marx Brothers' issue of incompetence, then where does the systemic issue stop? How many other RAF aircraft fleets now have gaps in their documentation following blind and dull adherence to poorly drafted MAA regs?

Sorry, just thought of another elephant. When were these documents destroyed? (That should be an easy one to answer, as there will be destruction certificates - won't there?). So, for how long were the RAF flying schoolchildren around in non-airworthy aircraft?

Best regards as ever to those following up the leads,

Engines