PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2016, 18:23
Danny42C

Now Hear This ! Have a look at:
...PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast>If you had to be in WWII, which bit would you choose?>Page 4>#80>(Sallyann1234>Quote: UK based Chain Home radar mechanic You might find this site interesting...Ventnor Radar: Home Page & Index. RAF Domestic & technical sites)..
MPN11 would be interested, I'm sure, for it reflects the Fighter Control part of Area Radar. I found it fascinating; for it fully explains the technical background of the work of the 3608 (Auxiliary) Fighter Control Unit (of which I was purely the "admin" Adjutant).

And it is beautifully written; The term: "The Hole" was in general use, and not just for our particular "Hole" (RAF Seaton Snook). Our CH Towers rose 360 ft above the N.York Moors at Danby Beacon. The little bungalow on top was the same. Did not know that the SPs in it took the F1250s off the privileged few, and exchanged them for brass tokens (same idea and same reason as the mines).

As I've related before, the SPs would have turned me away without brass tag, for I (or the Station Commander for that matter) didn't have a Special Security Clearance (on a Need to Know basis).

Looking forward to the rest of the "series",

Danny.