PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2016, 07:19
Walter603

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here we are blokes, back in the Old Dart after a few weeks in cold, wet Blighty. With my No. 2 grandson Joel as my carer, we stayed in London, Norfolk and Yorkshire. At Kirk Ella near Hull, my young step-brother Clive (only 78) provided food and drink galore and introduced us to many of his friends, warm-hearted lovely people who also wined and dined us. We visited York and Beverley Minsters, went to the seaside at Filey one overwhelmingly cold day in “flaming June” where it was 12C and it felt like 8C. When I messaged my daughter at home in Australia she said it was also 12c.

Canary Wharf on West India dock was also a place to admire. Built in 1802 to store rum, tobacco and sugar under the eagle eyes of Customs officers, some of it has been turned into flats or apartments for residents or for visitors. Lovely restaurants line the front for the delight of tourists, and a new (to me) Docklands Light Railway runs nearby as a supplement to the London Underground.

Norfolk was also a delight, and we stayed for 3 nights at a 15th century farmhouse that was full of charm. Two more nights in the same area close to Cromer to see lifelong old friends and we were off to York. What a wonderful old City!

I thank my son John for his back-up whilst I was away, and I’m about to plunge into another excerpt from my WW2 story.

Last edited by Walter603; 26th Jun 2016 at 07:22. Reason: Spelling