PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASY_OUT
Thread: EASY_OUT
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2016, 19:08
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Foreigners who have worked in a country MAY inherit grandfather rights (possibly through the Vienna Treaty, but I'm no expert, I've just been looking at the internet). However this may require having worked for a certain time. It could depend upon factors such as labour shortages and the negotiating / lobbying power of airlines and pilots associations, etc.

If there is a shortage of pilots no problem. Ireland, for example, might not want to issue work permits to foreigners if there are lots of unemployed Irish pilots. If there is a shortage of pilots work permits will very likely be forthcoming (Swissair had no trouble employing foreigners when they couldn't find natives). If there is a sudden downturn they could of course withdraw those permits. (Interesting where seniority lists come in then.)

As a matter of interest if UK pilots could only fly to/from UK but 50% of such flying was done by UK pilots (no reason of course why this should be case, it could be 90%) who would gain most, UK or non UK pilots?

I suspect that applying for dual citizenship is available might be an advantage. Its interesting but complicated area that's interests me. I am a UK citizen but I was born in Germany. However, unlike some countries such as the USA & Ireland being born in Germany does not automatically qualify one for citizenship. (I don't speak the language so that could be a problem.) The MP for the constituency north of Heathrow, I believe his name is Johnson, was born in the US & I hear has been trying to renounce his US citizenship to avoid taxes - along with some at Cathay Pacific. My sister married a Frenchman of East European descent who was a permanent resident (but not citizen) of Switzerland and now lives there with right of residence. I must check what citizenships they have.

Last edited by Peter47; 25th Jun 2016 at 19:32.