PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Coast Guard plane disappears while searching for missing jet
Old 25th Jun 2016, 11:18
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A close friend of me works for the Vietnamese SAR organization, currently at a maritime rescue coordination centre. They're dedicated professionals whom I respect deeply; he spent a year with HM Coastguard as a part of an exchange program. I was at times frustrated about certain issues I experienced as an expat in Vietnam and I used to go on lenghty beer-fueled rants, until - among other things - I was completely humbled when I realised the sacrifices these people make, and the obstacles they face, to save others. One of the most frustrating aspects of their job is that more often than not, they go on a mission to rescue, but end up collecting bodies (imagine the local fishing boats whose lights you see in the South China sea at night...many of them have no radio, no distress beacons, not even a GPS, and their weather forecasting/route planning while at sea is based only on their own observations...). Saddened at the loss for the vietnamese coast guard.

Last edited by deptrai; 25th Jun 2016 at 11:46.