PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Best" glide
Thread: "Best" glide
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 18:27
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Bit of confusion here maybe.

Best Range Speed is the best TAS/Drag for the aeroplane.
Best Glide speed is Minimum Drag speed, usually a bit less than best TAS/Drag.

If the engine fails, then I would want to stay airborne as long as I can to sort out my priorities……. therefore Best Glide…….for the moment.

WHEN A PLAN HAS BEEN DECIDED, then you can go for Range if you need it. eg. to clear a wooded area or hilly ground.

When on final though, I still want a safe approach speed that is going to give me the least Ground Speed so that, if I can’t avoid hitting something then, at least, it will be with less energy.

With a Taildragger, as has been pointed out, WHEN YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT, then you can use flap and/or sideslip with a few knots extra approach speed, to ensure a smooth flare to a THREEPOINT attitude.
This will give you a short ground run, reduce the chance of collision….. and maybe less blood…..

Just DON’T STRETCH THE GLIDE. If you are getting too low, carefully monitoring/adjusting your speed, RETRACT FLAP to reduce the ROD.

One other thing, remembering our gliding brethren, if the HW is strong and you don’t seem to be going anywhere, INCREASE THE NOSEDOWN ATTITUDE TO INCREASE YOUR SPEED. This will increase PENETRATION and, once you are in with a chance again, adjust your approach speed as necessary. Remember that, in this case, your GROUND SPEED will be lower because of the stronger HW and therefore the ground run will still be short even after a bit of float.

Lecture over…… sorry. Hope it helps.