PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV GNSS approaches
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 16:25
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
underfire:

yes, the FAF can be at the beginning of a turn, with 30 seconds to the DA. The 30 seconds was for when the FAF was at the beginning of the turn. 50 seconds of stabilised flight before the DA, jeez.
As you know, with an RNP missed approach (less than 1.0) the LNAV needs to be engaged. My FAA friends tell me the 50 seconds is required to accommodate some models of the AirBus. Beats me, I have no first-hand knowledge.

We use 15 seconds of stabilised flight from FROP to DA, with the RNP missed. I do not subscribe to the common concept that on a 0.1/0.3 RNP, you go missed and the world falls apart to a 1.0 RNP (which half of the time gets the tower as an obstacle and the DA is unusable).
I don't follow you. We have lots of RNP AR approaches with minimums of less than 0.30 that do not have RNP missed approaches. One example is KGUC RNP Rwy 24, where only 0.10 would work in the final segment, but then the terrain opens up for a conventional TERPs missed approach.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1607/00517rr24.pdf

If a tower creates an issue, with FAA policy, then an RNP missed approach is used to avoid it. Or a climb gradient, or a combination of both.