PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 18:21
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny Two more grist for the mill . .. . seeing you do use the goad now and then.

. . . . . while I'm looking way back and finding much of the nostalgia I was once told was all I had to look forward to .. . This one was from 1965-66 during days of wine and roses in WA with Caratti Bulldozing. Ah . . the Ironclad Hotel at Marble Bar .. . seems like yesterday. Or Freddie Ashleford seriously hung over (as I later found out) at 6 am bringing his MMA DC-3 down the main street of Hedland. I saw him. I leaped out of bed the moment I heard his approach. I swear as I leaned over the rail he was level with the upstairs verandah of the Esplanade Hotel. He was flying from my right to left . His side window was open and I also swear as he went by he turned his face left momentarily and gave a huge wink.

There was another MMA skipper called Mike Gent. The story goes Mike was taxying Fitzroy Crossing where he had overnighted.
He called Broome to pass his details. He also was a little worse for wear as he could not remember the call sign. He knew it was MIKE MIKE something as that was how the airline's fleet were all registered. So Mike Gent says in a ponderous way -

AH BROOME THIS IS MIKE MIKE . . .. . MIKE MIKE . .
AH BUGGER IT MIKE MIKE GENT

They knew the call sign they knew their man all along of course.

Last edited by Fantome; 22nd Jun 2016 at 20:08.