PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 16:02
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny yours back at #2331 -

They issued each of us with a little, amusing booklet of helpful tips and advice
for our flying training (oh, why didn't I hang on to mine - and also to the wonderfully funny "Tee Emms" - RAF training magazines - we had during the War?) * Many an octo/nonagenarian would love to read once more of the misdeeds of Pilot Officer Prune, navigator Flying Officer Fix, signaller Sgt Backtune, disreputable dog "Binder", Air Commodore Byplane-Ffixpitch and all the rest of that glorious crew - surely stationed at Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh or somewhere very like it.
There was a booklet of clever cartoons issued to Mossie pilots during the war. It probably ran to several printings or editions in England Canada and Australia. I was shown a copy a long time ago by the late Merv Waghorn who came out from Hatfield to Bankstown in Sydney to de Havillands to assist with the Australian production of the Mossie.
The idea was to try to instil some of the key advices towards ensuing not too many losses in training. There were some thirty sketches by a well known cartoonist. Certainly not Chris Wren whom no one could ever forget who was half familiar with his work. (I met him one memorable day. He sat in the front R/H pilot's seat from Alice Springs to Victoria River Downs in a Beechcraft Queenair of Connair . . formerly Connellan Airways .. . . and if you want to see Eddie Connellan in a movie watch the last ten minutes of A TOWN LIKE ALICE where Eddie in a Rapide meets the TAA DC-3. carrying the Peter Finch character. If only I had kept notes . Chris chatted on for a good two hours running forward and back over a wide field of endeavour. His stories were as brilliant as his illustrative work.)

So this booklet was illustrated by an artist with a pen name like WEG or WEP
There's a Mossie in flight coming head on with both props stopped . .the caption - NEVER FEATHER BOTH TOGETHER

(unless your name is Bob Hoover)