PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RMAF Chipmunks
Thread: RMAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 15:22
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
D9,

I'm glad I was able to help.

This is for a current re-paint project (the real FM1022).
I wondered about that. I came across this photo and the accompanying caption during my search:
In the contemporary image below, by Phil Vabre, shot in July 2009, it is devoid of any distinctive livery (getting ready to be repainted as a 'warbird' perhaps?). Previously 9V-BAE, and 9M-ANI in Malaysia before that, it was one of several Chipmunks acquired by the Royal Malayan Air Force in 1959, being ex RAF WD287. In the RMAF it was FM1022 before being civilianized and ultimately windng up in Singapore.

VH-BBK(2)

Concerning the possible fading of the yellow star, I'm not sure about that. Notice in the picture of 1025, that the yellow of the fin flash shows up as black, whereas the blue is a light grey. I don't think the yellow star had been painted at the time of this photo nor in your photo of 1022 at Sempang. More research required!

EDIT
I take that back about the fin flash. I see now it is a three-colour flash - light-blue, dark-blue, yellow, although the yellow is not obvious on the photo of 1025. However, it still looks as if the 14 point star was not painted in the "roundel".

Last edited by India Four Two; 22nd Jun 2016 at 16:05.