PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 12:21
Danny42C

Chugalug,

We are so deep in the mire on this now, that I thought it would help if I appended a copy of the consecutive messages (some failed) exchanged between us so far. First thank you for the detailed instruction on the Vital Actions to be taken when my PM Inbox is nearing 100%. You had explained all this me this years ago, and I've been doing it ever since on my PM Inbox. Getting cheesed off with the trouble involved, and heartened by Wee Jeem's gmail to me recently, and seeing how easy it was, and that there is no limit to worry about, I decided to try it out on a message to you. It doesn't seem to have worked too well !)

If you are "on frequency" here, you may recall your p.117 #2338 of four years ago.
...Danny, you have the devastating authority of an Antiques Roadshow expert disillusioning the proud owner of an objet d'art! So other than the T&S and Altimeter my prized fully instrumented panel is basically a fake? Oh, the embarrassment and the shame of it all! I suppose to be fair to Mr Daniel, he did say that all the Flight Instruments are genuinely of WWII vintage, rather than genuinely out of PT-17's. Sort of a "They're all the right instruments, Sunshine, though not necessarily in the right place!". At least if it appears on ebay we will be forewarned...
I then put in (#8778):

Here is the genuine article (pity the lower half is obscured by the modern 'gubbins', but you get the idea !)

Source:
From megan,
PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying>Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)>Page 17. #323> link.

Does even the shape agree with your "specimen" ?

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: I should have included the caption to the picture above:
...Cockpit of 1940s era biplane, with modern addition of satellite navigation...
I assumed from the context that it was a Stearman. But the panel shown incorporates a manifold pressure gauge as well as an RPM indicator. If the prop was either fixed or two-position, you would not need a manifold pressure. So it's a constant-speed prop. AFAIK, no Stearman (or any other "1940s era biplane" would have a CSU). So it's a Stearman (or whatever) with modern instruments and a Constant-Speed Prop.

Should've noticed that before !

D.

RECORD OF MESSAGES EXCHANGED BY CHUGALUG2 and DANNY42C

Chugal[email protected] 23.6.16 09.56

#####,

Salutations to my revered Mentor !
This is just to let you know that I've stumbled on a pic of pukka 1942 Stearman instrument panel and Posted it yesterday on "Pilot's Brevet" Thread, which has recently sprung to life again after some time in the doldrums.
Of course, in my rear cockpit the ASI would have been taken out. Can't remember any blank holes, though. Perhaps they put something else in - a clock, perhaps ?
I am doing this as a PPRuNe email as my PM bunged up (although I use the method you told me - copy to a Desktop file and then delete). You do not need to answer it in any way - it's just a pointer.
Regards,******

To; [email protected] 23rd Jun 2016 15.14

######,
Your PPRuNemail came in at 0942 (?) but inbox says "Error - cannot read". No idea what to do. Suggest you just acknowledge briefly on open Post on "Pilot's Brevet" as easiest way, but only if you wish.
Cheers, ******
............................................................ .
To: [email protected] 23.6.16. 1707

######,
Yours of 1451 came in - same again ! There's a jinx on this. Never mind, give up on this. Just look in on "Pilot's Brevet" if you wish.
............................................................ ..

Private Message: Re: Stearman Instrument Panel.
24th Jun 2016, 23:34
Chugalug2

Re: Stearman Instrument Panel.
Hello *******,
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with disappearing entries in your inbox. Not sure if you mean emails or PPRuNe PMs, as you say you can fall back on PM's anyway. If emails, I'd need to know which email system that you use, ie Internet Explorer, gmail, virginmail, etc. Whichever system it is, I suspect that your missing emails are somewhere, and can be recovered. If it is PM's and you haven't deleted them, then again they should be there somewhere, though there is a limit to PMs (150 I think), and then the system won't accept anymore into your inbox. If that is the case you won't see this one, so if you can then that isn't the case either.
I'll await an answer to this and then we can take it from there.
Very best wishes,
#####

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny42C
#####,
This is no good ! Trouble may well be at my end, as now all entries in my inbox after 17 June have disappeared (and I certainly haven't deleted them).
A week or two ago a PPRuNemail from Wee Jeem came in all right, so the system has worked.
Never mind, fall back on PMs. It was just a pointer to the pic I'd found and put in on "Pilot's Brevet" anyway. No need to answer this, Robin.
Cheers, ******.
--------------------------------------
Quick reply to this message
Old 25th Jun 2016, 10:22
Chugalug2

Apologies to all for an intrusion of a purely administrative nature. Hopefully I can keep it brief!
Danny, you sent me a PM saying that you are missing messages from your inbox that you haven't deleted. If I have this right then the only explanation that I can think of is that your PMs (sent, received, saved) have topped out at 150 (the max allowed). The total should show when you go to inbox.
If that is the case I suggest that you open a new file in My Docs called "PPRuNe PMs" or some such (Right click to create a new file).
Then go to your inbox where there is a section called "Older Messages" with a total (let's say 100) and a tick box next to it.
If you tick that box and then scroll to the bottom of the page you will find a menu for "Selected Messages".
I suggest "Download as text", then "Go", and the 100 messages will produce a text document of them all which you can select under "file" as "Save As".
Put a number like 001 at the end of the title you give it, and navigate the box above to My Docs, PPRuNe PMs (etc), and click Save.
Your older messages are now stored in that folder and can then be deleted en-bloc from your PMs with the same drop down menu at the bottom of the page but this time selecting Delete, thus reducing your content to 50 in our example. You should then receive new PMs.
Apologies if I misunderstood your PM, but I replied to no effect, hence my assumption that your inbox is full.
Hope all that helps. Apologies again to one and all.
"Bugler, sound the Carry-On!

Last edited by Danny42C; 25th Jun 2016 at 14:18. Reason: Addn. Text.