PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What could UK Brexit mean for UK pilot jobs
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 08:37
4535jacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could UK Brexit mean for UK pilot jobs

As a wannabe pilot, one thing that will effect how I vote tomorrow is how an exit from the EU will effect the availability of pilot jobs for UK citizens. So far I can see two trains of thought and so I would like to hear other peoples opinions on these. Please do not state how you will vote or turn this into a political debate and try to keep this thread to how the UK aviation industry and specifically how trainee and wannabe UK pilots may be affected by Brexit.

The two possible, opposing outcomes that I can see:

1) Brexit would reduce the number of air travellers in and out of the UK due to the loss of free movement in Europe and due to the requirement for new travel visas. This in turn would reduce the number of UK flights and the requirement for pilots. In addition it would make it more difficult for newly-trained pilots to find work elsewhere in the EU due to residency constraints.

2) Brexit would give freshly trained UK pilots more opportunities for employment inside the UK due to the reduced competition from non-UK citizen, EU-resident pilots.

I don't know which of these two statements is likely to be the most accurate but would appreciate opinions.