PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United 6186 Turnback due to Heat
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 00:35
+TSRA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a commercial rated pilot and a flight dispatcher, yet I can't see why this particular flight decided to turn back instead of landing.
Did they ever teach you in your CPL or Dispatcher classes about WAT (Weight for Altitude and Temperature)? Perhaps the guys sitting in the pointy end realized they could not meet the Approach Climb Limit or Landing Climb Limit and would not be able to with the temperature forecast for the next couple hours. Not too many aircraft I know can be near 52C with full performance.

Or maybe they had an MEL that lowered the "maximum temperature" to a value below the AFM published maximum (maybe to the 118F previously mentioned).

Or maybe there is a company policy that lowers the maximum to save on maintenance costs - we limit our climb and cruise numbers on all our types by between 40C to 60C from maximum as a preventative measure - not something you'll see in the AFM.

Just a couple of the reasons.

By the way, saying something like this:

Other types, on similar short turn-arounds, made it in all day.
is what causes the type of responses you're getting, among spelling errors. If you're a CPL holder and a flight dispatcher, you should know you never, ever try and suggest a crew should go ahead and do something just because others do - especially in other types.

Last edited by +TSRA; 22nd Jun 2016 at 00:37. Reason: edited second paragraph for clarity.