PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset confusion
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2016, 15:12
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Halo headset looks interesting, if I could just combine the band/ microphone with a pair of moulded ear inserts (like the F1 guys wear.)
I'm sure you can go to a suitable hearing centre and get some moulds made, but the FAQ on the QT website actually advises against this:

Do I need custom earmolds?
NO...Custom earmolds are not recommended for the following reasons...

- They take time and effort to get
- A FULL 30% of all earmolds leak somewhat. The noise spectrum that enters the ear canal with small leaks are the low frequencies...engine noise.
- IF you get a good seal, that means it is pneumatic and cannot equalize pressure at various altitudes
- they cost range from $80 to $200 / pair making the experiment an expensive one.

Stick with the foams if at all possible.
I have used mine with the yellow foam inserts in a Tiger Moth and a Waco - without any further helmet/hat on and they happily stay in during aeros whilst my hair blows in the wind
However, the microphone boom is far less rigid than what you get in a clamping headset, so, especially in the Moth, sometimes the mike catches the wind and bends away from my mouth.

I'm not quite sure how it would work with a hat - you could probably have it on the outside and feed the tubes which connect to the buds in from behind - unless there is a flap over the ears? Probably depends on your hat (if you really need one?). You'd have to try it and see, I think. Unfortunately, since they are in your ear, unless you want to share earwax, you cannot just try on your mate's one - he needs to be happy to sacrifice a pair of foam or rubber inserts.

But they are quite cheap - I bought mine unseen and untested based on their low price and took the risk.

I also spent half an hour in front of the mirror practising putting them in - the seal you get depends on how good you are at getting them in the right place. I now consistently get very good attenuation

B.

Last edited by Baikonour; 21st Jun 2016 at 15:43.