PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2016, 13:07
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny haven't heard HMV for years. It was my nick-name for the owner/chief pilot of a little seaplane scenic business at Port Arthur in SE Tasmania.
Should not speak ill of the dead but he was far and away the worst case ever of raving on with an authority he did not possess. He never spoke with you . . . he intoned at you . . he subjected you to a parade ground barrage of this-I-believe. Still the subject of bad dreams (wife has no sympathy "oh you poor little hot house flower". . . gotta love a woman with balls even if she can rarely put herself in the picture . . or even care to try.)

The only story of his I can bear relating concerned his time as a fitter in the RAAF at the Catalina base Rathmines on Lake Macquarie near Newcastle where the base was in the throes of closing . . so around 1955. On friday evenings as men were getting ready to go into town they'd flog some juice to put in sundry bikes or cars . The way this went was fix bayonets stand on roof of car under wing of Cat with bucket. Thrust bayonet into wing tank . Try to catch the spoils without any spillage or slop to spoil your evening's chances.

thinking of lady's of a certain disposition there was one who flew the aircraft of a leading multi national company round Australia. She was a lovely person with quite a deep voice especially on the radio. Uncouth men in the ranks of GA referred to her as 'Bonny with balls'.

Last edited by Fantome; 21st Jun 2016 at 13:43.