PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going from Cessna 152 to 172
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2016, 11:18
Cazalet33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any aeroplane which has a component called "Land-O-Matic" (yes, really!) is going to be easy to fly and to land. The 172 is the ultimate tame pussycat.

If you can fly any aeroplane, or perhaps even if you can only drive a Ford Mondeo, you can convert to the 172 in well under an hour. The only thing you have to learn is the sight picture to expect in the correct landing attitude.

I concur with those who caution against overloading or getting abaft the CofG limit.

In my foolish yoof I committed that sin, unforgivably, on a semi-legal charter from Sunderland to BEAcopters apron at Dyce in the early 1970s. It was in the old version of the 172, the one with no rear window and no electric flaps. A doggy old engine coming up to the end of its legal life and a propellor whose leading edge was like a hillwalkers terrain profile map.

My three pax turned out to be massively huge riggers with absurdly heavy suitcases. Grossly illegal and massively stupid of me to agree to take them. I had the rear seat pax hold all three bags on their laps, but I knew, without plotting the W&B, that both W and B were hugely out of limits.

Takeoff was alarming, but the field, which is now a car factory, had a bit of a ski jump at its further end and I scraped over the hedge with the stall warner making its baleful squeak. I had to mollify my front passenger by saying that the noise indicated full power.

At Aberdeen I was cleared to land number one, with one in the circuit on the downwind leg. Once established on finals I saw that the 150 (from the local flying club whose name I shall not say lest I summon the Devil) had cut in front of me. ATC told me, not him, to go around. It took me fully 300' to arrest the descent and pretty much half the runway length to get a bit of climb out of the thing. My front passenger was mightily relieved when he heard the stall warner in that go-around! He did ask why I was pushing, instead of pulling, and frantically shoving the trim wheel,when trying to get away from the ground. I was too busy to think of an answer to that one.

Lesson: never overstep the upper or righthand edge of the W&B polygon in a 172. She'll probably forgive you if you do, but one day she won't. That's why we call these pieces of metal "she".