PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2016, 07:33
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Megan: I have had a quick read of the American DC-10 report that you referred to, and since you asked for my take on it I'll give it although I don't see it as being particularly relevant to this thread.
I think there were three causal factors at an Industry level, two at an organisational level, and one at an operational level. None of the causal factors I identified during my amateur assessment involved the flight crew.
My assessment of the causal factors wouldn't be any more valid than the next airline captains but, my opinion on the responsibilities of command is probably as valid as the next guys and this is what I have been offering.
You chaps make quite a show about " those who like to lay blame" and the " knockers" and the " revisionists" etc but you miss the gist of what most here are saying. It is not that Collins is the one to blame, it is that he is not free of responsibility.
The judgement and decision making of the crew who lost the engine on departure isn't in question whereas the judgement and decision making of Collins is.
Anyway, have a good day and don't forget how much responsibility is on your shoulders next time you operate, it helps with making decisions considerate of risk.